Skip to main content

Housing: Unfit Conditions

Quick Facts



Unfit conditions are not an excuse for nonpayment of rent! Take these steps instead:

  • Put requests for repairs to LL in writing, date them, save copies for yourself

  • Take photos/videotape footage to document the unfit conditions in your home

  • If you have a Section 8 voucher, complain to your caseworker

  • Call City or County Inspectors or Public Health Dept. to ask for an inspection of your home

  • Contact an attorney for assistance

  • Continue to pay your rent!



To find other Legal Aid of North Carolina materials, including any materials mentioned in this document, go to If you need legal help please go to


Last Review and Update: Jul 05, 2012
Back to top