Benefits: Transitional Medicaid Assistance

Quick Facts


On some instances Medicaid assistance continues after you are no longer eligible. This type of Medicaid is called transitional Medicaid and lasts a few more months.

**If you received Work First and your case is closed or you are no longer eligible for Work First benefits, you may get Medicaid Assistance for an additional 12 months.**

To be eligible for transitional Medicaid Assistance you must also:

  • have a child under 21 in your home, and

  • have lost eligibility because of increase in income from work, and

  • have received Work First for 3 out of the 6 months before your case was closed.

If you lose eligibility because of receipt of child support or an increase in child support, you continue to be eligible for Medicaid Assistance for 4 months.

If you are not eligible for Work First for any other reason than increased child support or work income you will not receive transitional Medicaid Assistance.

After the transitional Medicaid Assistance stops, you and your children may still be eligible for Medicaid Assistance. You should fill an application for Medicaid Assistance.  



To find other Legal Aid of North Carolina materials, including any materials mentioned in this document, go to If you need legal help please go to



Last Review and Update: Jun 26, 2012
Back to top